Friday, May 18, 2007

May 18, 2007

Today's ride was from Vicksburg to Indianola, Mississippi. I left the hotel at 6:30 with Edith. The ride started out well with a few hills the first 15-20 miles. I was very happy with how well I was able to ride the hills. Then we hit the flat lands and my trouble began. First there were lots of logging trucks on the road and then we had a head wind. The wind was My average pace for today really dropped. My average pace for the first three 85 mile days was around 13 mph. Today I dropped to 11.4. Finally around three o'clock I decided that I had had it. At my current pace (9.0mph) it would have taken me until 6:30 to finish. I decided that I had had enough! The sag came by to check on us and I told Edith that I just did not have another 3 1/2 hours in me. I decided to sag. Turns out there were eight other women already in the sag! It was disappointing not to complete the 107 mile ride but at least I know I can ride again tomorrow.

Mississippi corn fields



Giant grain storage buildings???


Tiny country store along the way.

2 comments:

triathleteb said...

You are doing such an amazing job. Don't fret about sagging when you need to. It is all about the journey, and that doesn't mean all of it needs to be on the bike. Enjoy Memphis!

Greg said...

Remember the mantra "the wind is my friend, it makes me stronger"