Saturday, June 02, 2007

Pictures from Nauvoo, Illionis

Grave site of Joseph Smith, his wife Emma and brother Hyrum.


Half the historic section of Nauvoo is owned by the Mormon church and the other half is owned by the Community of Christ (formally known as RLDS) The split in these two groups was caused by a question of who would follow Joseph Smith as leader of the LDS (among other things). "Joseph’s death left the church without any clear leadership. Many believed that Joseph Smith Jr. had designated his son, Joseph Smith III, to be his successor; however, "Young Joseph" was only eleven years old when his father was killed." From my totally uneducated opinion on this subject I think the Salt Lake Mormons followed Brigham Young and the ones who went back to Missouri followed Joseph Smith's son. To me it sounds a lot like the split in Islam between the Sunnis and the Shia.

The Community of Christ is a separate group of LDS different from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

http://www.cofchrist.org/history/


Tour wagon by the LDS.


Be sure to read my rest day post prior to this one.





1 comment:

triathleteb said...

I feel for you. I am sure you wish you could just stay on one side of the river. By the end of the trip, you will be a bridge expert. I am so glad you have Edith there helping you when you need it. -I am sure it is mutual!