Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Tuesday, June 5, 2007 Dyersville, Iowa

Sorry I have been missing in action the last couple of days. June 3 we went from Burlington, to Muscatine, Iowa, a distance of 61.77. June 4 we went from Muscatine to Maquoketa, Iowa, a scheduled distance of 71 miles which turned out closer to 58. I had a tough mentally and sagged after 17 miles. In retro it was probably a good idea for me to SAG. There were head winds at 25 mph and generally a very tough ride. Most people made it but were really wiped out last night and this morning. I felt much better today and was able to do the entire distance.

On the way to Maquoketa a group of us stopped for lunch




It is pretty challenging for the waitresses when we all descend on a restaurant at one time but generally they do pretty well. I had some wonderful homemade chicken and noodle soup.


This morning I took these pictures of fellow rider Judi as were were getting ready to depart. Unfortunately I set my camera down on the breakfast table at the van and did not realize that I left it until I wanted to take a picture along the way. Fortunately the trip leader put it in the van for me and I got it when I got to the hotel.




As I rode closer to Dyersville my focus was finishing. Unfortunately it meant I flew past the turn off for the Field of Dreams movie set. Oh, well I didn't have my camera anyway. Once I did get my camera I headed for the other big tourist spot in Dyerville, Iowa . Who knew? I actually really enjoyed it. http://www.nationalfarmtoymuseum.com



These were just across the parking lot from the Nation Farm Toy Museum:




Finally, I want to tell you about Edith. Barbara (thanks) pointed out that I talk about her all the time but haven't really included a picture or any sort of information on her. First let me say she is amazing. Edith is a 67 year old cancer survivor who went through chemo and radiation about two years ago. She is originally from Northern Germany but has been in this country over 40 years. She still has the cutest accent though. Edith has already done the Southern Tier with Woman Tours (San Diego to St. Augustine). She has only sagged one day (the day to Hannibal). She has amazing mental and physical toughness. She has really encouraged me on my tough days. Not sure what I would have done without her.

No comments: